EDM 310 Class Blog

Contact Me

sallygajewski@gmail.com

Monday, September 9, 2013

blog post #3

I am like most people when it comes to peer editing I don’t like upsetting people. But, I believe that if I try to do what they suggested in What is Peer Editing, Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial, and Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes. I have learned that when you are editing someone’s paper the first step you do is give them a compliment on their paper. As in, I liked the way you worded your title to your paper. Then for the second step you just give suggestions to their paper. For example, maybe instead of using the word good you should use the word excellent. Now for the third step you give corrections to the spelling and grammar of the paper. I have also learned that if you edit a paper wrong it will not help the student at all. Instead, it hinders the student in learning how to write a paper. When editing a paper you can edit it very well but, there is a chance your point might not come across the way you meant for it too. Such as the way you word your explanation in why what they are saying will not work. That can confuse a person and it can chop at their ego if they believe they are a good writer. It is like building a knife you have to have a perfect balance of the blade and the hilt otherwise it can throw off the balance of the whole knife. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it is like everything else is all in how you perceive the paper you are editing.

2 comments:

  1. Be sure to include links. There are instructions in the instruction manual and lab assistants to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,

    There is a very fine line that can be crossed when editing someone's paper. I believe it is all in how you approach the writer. Everyone has there on style of writing but as you stated in your blog if we all go by the same rubric that was provided to us then we should all do an excellent job!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete